Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

Introduction, or How This Blog Got Its Name

The name of my blog, Guide Alongside, is derived from advice I encountered repeatedly when I began reading about how to improve online course instruction for higher education:

Be a "guide on the side," not a "sage on the stage." 

The phrase first appeared in an article written by Alison King for the journal College Teaching (Vol. 41, 1993). The full title of the article is "From Sage on the Stage to Guide on the Side."In the article, King uses "sage on the stage"to describe the old-school style of instruction, also known as the "transmittal" model, wherein a professor lectures to students who are expected to memorize and repeat back what they hear. This model assumes students are passive recipients, dependent on teachers for their learning. In contrast, a "guide on the side" encourages students to become actively involved in their own learning process. Such a teacher provides resources, asks thoughtful questions, and facilitates further investigation. King argues that this latter form of instruction encourages critical thinking and creative problem solving, essential skills for students in the twenty-first century.

This idea of mentoring, of collaborating with students rather than lecturing at them, reflects my point of view when it comes to home education, lifelong learning, and professional writing. 

In the posts that follow, I plan to elaborate on this idea as part of my reflective journal for a Master of Arts in Professional Writing capstone project. I will be documenting my experiences as I prepare an electronic portfolio with Dr. Helen Barrett as my "guide on the side." 

No comments:

Post a Comment