Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A New Series of Posts: Books About Teaching, Learning and Homeschooling

I believe we all know what it's like to need help. Whether we are homeschooling parents, professional educators, student mentors, instructors or coaches, we've all had moments when our own expertise wasn't enough. When that happens, where do you go for advice?

Back in the 1990s, before everyone started carrying the internet around in their pockets, my options were limited. I relied heavily on the library. Although I did my best to connect with experienced homeschoolers, that wasn't always an option. Where I live in rural New Hampshire, homes are widely scattered, and homeschoolers are even fewer and farther apart. So, to become a better parent and educator, I turned to the wisdom collected in books.

I started with books about homeschooling written by homeschoolers, but then I broadened my selections to include books written by education researchers, professional teachers and psychologists. I read about parenting, education, cognitive psychology, child development, and human motivation. These authors who shared their knowledge helped me to understand and form my own ideas about what it means to teach and learn. And, whenever I came across a particularly good book, I would start recommending it to other homeschoolers.


Books were so foundational to my experience as an educator that I can't seem to help someone who is thinking of homeschooling without mentioning at least one or two titles. That's why I've decided to write a series of posts on this blog about my favorite books, specifically the ones related to education, and what they have meant to me. I'll begin with the oldest and dustiest ones, the treasures I latched on to when I was just starting to think about homeschooling. Then I'll work my way up to more recent releases.

The first book in my series will be Homeschooling for Excellence by David and Micki Colfax.

While I'm writing these posts partly because I'd like to reflect back on what inspired me, I'd also like to start a discussion here about what inspires you.

If you'd like to join in, just post a comment below and tell me which writers, past or present, have most influenced your choices as an educator. Which ideas resonated with you—and which ones turned you off? What impact have the best (or worst) books about parenting and education had on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment